Sunday, March 05, 2006

Despite all my Rage


It's a million dollar shot, Nicolas Cage with a frosty spilled all over him. It's from the film "Weather Man" which Mandy and I just watched last night. This post isn't about the movie, I don't want to ruin it for anybody. All you need to know from me is that I liked it a lot.

This picture represents the new Nicolas Cage that has been reformed over the past several years. Starting with the film "Leaving Las Vegas," Cage has actually impressed me in lots of films, all characters with one thing in common... he's not cool. Raising Arizona, Matchstick Men and Adaptation are a few that you could look to.

The films in which he loses my respect are ones like Con Air, The Rock, Snake Eyes and Face Off. He's an action hero who women are attracted to, and who guys are supposed to think is cool. Trouble is, I'm just not buying it. And I hated him and his fake movies that tried to sell this image. This picture above is of the Nicolas Cage that is more accurate, more believable.

Another great example of an actor finding their darker side is Bill Murray. Notice the kind of films Murray was in during the 80's and early 90's (Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, Man who Knew Too Little). Then Wes Anderson gets ahold of him, and all of a sudden you've got films like Life Aquatic, Lost in Translation and Broken Flowers. His performances are brilliant.

The point is that in both cases the early movies made them famous, then they branch out and find their true niche with these movies that are more somber. I love to see it, I guess that's my main point here. So if you're a superstar actor reading this, don't make the "National Treasure" films that bring in the dough. Stick to playing washed up has beens b/c that's what I love seeing.



No comments: