Wednesday, February 01, 2006

what exactly happened?

Hello to all,

I'm writing from Tucson, Arizona and have been invited by the Great Ryano to be a part of the Mind over Media discussion. I must say 'Tape' was very powerful indeed. Ryan, I ask of your interpretation of the film, is it true you believe Amy felt there was no crime? The impression I had, even though she talked it off and around it and away from it, was that based on her original reluctance of being in the same room with Jon, her outburst at the end of the movie daming him, and her sarcastic remarks "yea, I let all the guys hold their hand over my mouth," was that she had been savagely raped. It seemed to me she was guarding some very wounded and painful memories and not ready/wanting to confront that incident without warning. I feel the major question is then: could women confront their attackers face to face without the court system and feel vindicated/forgivness regarding a violent crime? Amy was a prosecuting attorny, but would she have known how face Jon and to feel emotional resolution about the incident if she had wanted to? In the movie she did take the upper hand and play tricks on the two men and give them harsh words, but did any of that truely give her satisfaction? Would she/do we even know what to do -- vindication or forgiveness?

-Robert

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Hey Robert, welcome from Tuscon! Very good stuff, you had the same impression of what really happened as many others, but your conclusion question was new and fresh, i love that. Now, about what really happened... My impression watching the film was the same as yours (about Amy really being raped), but others thought the filmmaker left it open ended. Everyone agreed that John had done something wrong, but it wasn't completely clear to all as to what had really happened. Some suggested that Vincent actually convinced John that he had raped her when he hadn't actually. Nevertheless, the reason that Amy was correct in saying there was no crime was b/c of a technicality in the legal system which Buddy brought to the surface. Of course, I would argue that Vince was accusing John of an act that would be considered a crime, so his taped confession would in fact be useful b/c of that accusation (if Vince was legally pressing charges). It was just the difference between something being wrong and being a crime, which I agree with Buddy is an interesting thought.

Robert, please elaborate more on your core question the movie brought out for you. What do you think the proper response is for a victim in this type of scenario?

smileskindeep said...

I just wanted to say that before I was born in 1961 I had 2 sisters who were murdered. One was 9 who was beaten to death with a four pound sledge hammer and a 12 year old who was raped, beaten and then thrown in a canal. The man who commited this crime is still in prison and recently actually applied for parole again for the eighth time and denied again. I know that I was not born yet, but this doesn't negate the fact that I could have spent time with my sisters and they are my family. I have tried over many years to forgive this man for his actions, and let God do his work being the judge and jury. So far he has kept this man from getting out 8 times, he let him escape the death penalty 4 times so he could live a long life behind bars. Although I haven't fully forgiven this man God sure does make it easier to live with it. Don't want to be a downer, but I thought it might be a good example of forgiveness and how God can play a role in it.